Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pleading a DV to a Simple Battery May Not Preserve Client's Gun Rights

In an opinion written by Justice Ginsburg, the U.S. Supreme Court held this morning that a person may be prosecuted under 18 USC 922(g)(9), which bans possession of a weapon for someone convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, even if the predicate offense does not have a domestic relationship as an element of the offense. "We hold that the domestic relations, although it must be established beyond a reasonable doubt in a section 922(g)(9) firearms possession prosecution, need not be a defining element of the predicate offense."


Hayes had a conviction in West Virginia for battery. However, the indictment alleged that the victim "shared a child in common with" and "was cohabitating with" Hayes. After he was charged in federal court, he moved to dismiss the indictment. Then, when that motion was denied, he entered a conditional plea of guilty.

The Court holds that a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence . . . must have, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force or the threatened use of deadly weapon." The statute, however, does not require that the crime have a domestic relationship as an element.
"To obtain a conviction in a section 922(g)(9) prosecution, the Government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the victim of the predicate offense was the defendant's current or former spouse or was related to the defendant in another specified way, But that relationship, while it must be established, need not be denominated an element of the predicate offense."

So, it appears a plea to Disturbing the Peace, for example, may be OK so long as there is no element of physical force or use of a deadly weapon. A plea to Simple Battery is not OK and does not preserve your client's right to possess firearms if the Government can prove the domestic relationship at the 922(g)(9) trial.

1 comment:

  1. Help!

    Years ago, my teenage son and I got into a "scuffle" because he refused to leave the kitchen during a heated conversation between his Mom and Me.

    I grabbed him by his shirt and threw him out of the kitchen and his Mom freaked and called 911

    I was arrested and charged with domestic violence! I make my living with firearms. I have a number of firearm related Patents that I license and live off of the royalties.

    I was forced to turn in my guns at the local cop shop. After a court order, I was given my guns back because I plead guilty to simple battery but would rather have had a jury trial because I can't believe that I didn't have that parental right but wanted to spare my son from testifying.

    So now what? Am I going to get screwed again by the Great State of Illinois and their gun grabbing, liberal democratic idiots that are going to use this ruling to screw with me further?

    Any opinions will be read with great interest as I know most of us are not lawyers.

    Skip.

    ReplyDelete